A framed still life painting signed by Daphne Fedarb. This still life incorporates some typically cubist elements: the earthenware pots, the long white clay pipe, and the superimposition of typographical signs. The inscription at the centre of the picture reads 'Avignon-S', the 'S' possibly standing for Sete, a coastal town not far from Avignon. About the artist: London-born painter Daphne Fedarb (1912-1992) studied at Beckenham School of Art from 1928 to 1930, at the Slade School of Fine Art from 1931 to 1934 and at the Westminster School of Art from 1936 to 1939, where Mark Gertler taught her painting and Bernard Meninsky drawing. She married fellow painter Ernest Fedarb in 1932 and in 1935 they had a joint show at the Fine Art Society. Daphne Fedarb became a member of the National Society of Painters, Sculptors and Gravers/Printmakers from 1940-55, of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1948 and the Womens’ International Art Club from 1955–68. Between 1961 and 1973 she showed work at the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club and the London Group, in America and on the Continent.
Oil on canvas. England, c.1940